Monday, March 22, 2010

Working on a Commission

I’ve been sick in bed since yesterday, so I thought I’d work on something while I’m in bed. Yes, I guess I’m a bit of a type A personality, someone who doesn’t relax very well.

I was asked to paint someone’s husky a while back. The person who requested the piece wanted a fairly large piece of work and they lived out of town. I received photographs of the dog, but nothing more.
I hadn’t laid eyes on this animal and wasn’t going to be able to. Let me tell you it’s pretty difficult to get the subject’s personality when you don’t get to see him/her, but I endeavoured to try.

First I did a number of sketches....










































Then I worked on a few color sketches like this one below...

















At last I was ready for the final piece.

Thankfully the owner of the husky really liked the piece. In fact he said that I had captured his dog’s personality! I think however, it’s always best to get to know the subject of what you are commissioned to paint.

10 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, there you go. You 'rest' by working...
Well done!

Amanda said...

I hope you feel better boo, i love how your painingt!!! the husky's are gorgeous girl!! i love them, how much is the one selling for? i really like it!
Maybe i'll see them at the summer show for HAS, well they haven't picked a date yet"i'll say summer" lol
Toodles,
Mandy

Amanda said...

lol,,sorry i forgot that they for a man! but i still love them! Have a nice week:D

Digital Flower Pictures said...

That kind of looks my dog except she has blue eyes. I think the pictures came out well. You captured the Husky inquisitive look which most all of them have.

Hybrid J said...

The husky look majestic with his pose. I think you did an excellent job to capture the thick husky fur. Well Done!

As a self taught artist myself, the sketches of yours help me to understand how to draw animals. Thank you for such generous act.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the comments. It's always great to get feedback

forestry said...

I really hope you are feeling better soon Eleanor. I know that working on your BLOG is one of the ways that you unwind and relax. The rest of us are the benefactors. I always enjoy visiting this Space and there is always something new to discover. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and productive way being sick in bed. The results are just gorgeus.

congratulations.

Linda said...

Lovely sketch! I love how you captured the gracefulness and how husky's paws are softly draped.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your feedback.