Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Painting

For years I have spent countless solitary hours exploring various marshes and beaver ponds when I lived in a little hamlet outside of Port Carling. There was a large property that I liked to explore which I now realize is identified as a Provincially Significant Wetland.

According to the District of Muskoka, this site has “biogeographic significance” and contains rare species. Being somewhat of an introvert, most of my spare time was spent wandering with my dog Sheba. In the winters I would ski in this particular area.


There was a large marsh that I called “The Bowl” that flowed into the Joseph River. Most of the time we encountered numerous animal tracks such as fisher, otter, deer, snowshoe hare and fox but on one particular afternoon I had the good fortune to see a coyote on the hunt, before it disappeared into the brush.
This watercolour is the result of our rambles and is called “Frozen Oasis”.


No comments: